The 18th Finchley officially started in 1931. In fact approval for the Group, based at the Baptist Church in East Finchley was given at the District Executive meeting held on the first day of that year.
Warrants were approved for Mr D S Blaky as the Group Scout Master (GSM), Mr H W Pibworth as the Scout Master (SM) and Miss E M Blaky as the Cub Master (CM).
The census at the end of September stated that there were 10 Cubs, 7 Scouts and the 3 aforementioned leaders. A month later it is reported in the District AGM report that a Summer Camp was held at Mark Cross near Tunbridge Wells.
Group numbers increased marginally over the next couple of years and the 1933 AGM report stated that the Group had made good progress in both sections and that they had held a successful concert in the Spring and a camp at Sandy, Bedfordshire during the summer.
1934 and 1935 follows a similar pattern to 1932 and 1933 – good progress in the Pack and Troop having another Summer Camp at Sandy. However, it was also reported that the Pack held their first camp at Hatfield Park.
In January 1936 an ACM was recruited but the name given in the minutes of the Executive Committee meeting is not legible.
Like the other Groups from the District the 18th joined in with the formalities relating to the official opening of the Camping Ground. However their participation appears to be limited to just the Cub Pack taking part in the Flag Pole Race.
The census figures in September state that there were only 9 Cubs and 16 Scouts.
The next mention of the Group is in June 1938 when they joined in the Good Turn Rally at the Camping Ground, held to help raise money for the Boy Scouts’ Fund. The Scouts provided a First Aid demonstration in the arena.
During the year the number of Cubs increased to 19 and the number of Scouts to 20. The annual report mentioned this good progress and the fact that a Summer Camp had been held at Brynbach, North Wales. It also mentioned that the Group had held a concert during the previous winter and a dog show during the summer, with satisfactory results.
The next District census figures we have are for 1943 which state that there were 14 Cubs, 24 Scouts and 7 leaders, one of whom was on National Service. In the interim period no other reference to the Group can be found, including the AGM reports which did not carry any individual Group reports.
More to follow.